“I can’t go back to yesterday because I was a different person then.” Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland.
I spent a great deal of my life wishing I could have a do-over or at least a second chance, but as Lewis Carroll wrote, returning to days past is impossible because we are not the people we were back then or even yesterday. When I spend a few minutes meditating on what used to be, I find myself a little saddened, but mostly just lost. Where my life took the turns that led me to be a writer, I know not; however, this is my dream. Everything I’ve ever wanted in life:
- Set my own hours
- Wear pajamas to work
- Give an explanation to the voices inside my head
- Create unique characters who guide me into unknown worlds and bring excitement into my world and my readers.
- Travel the globe, if only in my mind
- Meet people who enjoy books on the same level I do
After working as an ICU nurse, writing is a whole different type of stress. The only lives depending on me and my excellent CPR skills are fictional. They can be revived with a few key strokes or the swipe of my pen, or there is the possibility I decide to become a serial killer for a bit. I can slice arteries, chop off heads, or take an ice pick to an eyeball—I can do any of these things, or all of them, and not get arrested. There is a possibility I need to seek a little counseling, but I prefer taking out my emotions on my characters.
As of this moment, I have three works in progress. They are all quite different and it has been exciting to create characters for each of them and watch them mature. I also enjoy the journeys they sometimes lead me on. Initially, I started writing as a way to escape reality when it became too much. Soon I realized I enjoyed creating worlds and characters for them to live in. I enjoyed adding tidbits of my life into the stories, making them more realistic.
Time passed, and now I cannot imagine doing anything else. I love the writing and I have met some great friends this way.
I’ll tell you a little, very little, about my works in progress. There will be times I’ll use this site as a sounding board, so stay tuned. You never know when something interesting may come up.
- Moon of Cybele: A story including witches and wizards. The plot will revolve around Cybele and Attis’s love story.
- Hands Off: A sweet second chance romance involving the boy next door.
- Scattered Mind: a suspenseful love story involving a character plagued schizophrenia and the people who love him. He’s functioned well until he decided he no longer needed his therapy or medications.
I hope you’ll join me on my journey.